- This event has passed.
August 28, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Please consider helping GPC have a successful blood drive this summer. You may have family members or friends who have required life-saving blood transfusions. You may have never given any thought to becoming a blood donor. You may think there are plenty of other people who donate. But the need is always present. You may need it yourself someday.
Here are some interesting facts:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.69 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer this year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
Tips for a successful donation:
Maintain a healthy iron rich diet for at least 1 week prior to donating. This can include red meat, fish, poultry, bean, leafy green vegetables, iron-fortified bread and cereal, prunes and raisins Be sure to get a good night’s sleep. Drink an extra 16 ounces of water or non-alcoholic fluid before the donation. Eat a healthy meal before you donate but avoid fatty foods such as deep-fried. Remember to bring your donor card and driver’s license (or valid ID).
If you would like to schedule an appointment to donate, go to redcrossblood.org, and enter sponsor code: greenfieldchurch. If you are interested in volunteering to help with the blood drive, contact Paula Robinson.